Every year, Moldova is home to a plenty of small and large festivals attracting thousands of visitors from different countries. Festivals are a great opportunity to experience and enjoy the culture of this country in a unique and different way. Here are the top festivals in Moldova worth visiting this summer:
1. Ia Mania Festival – founded in 2013, managed to become one of the most beautiful festival dedicated to the Moldovan traditional clothing. This festival promotes in special the IA – a beautiful traditional blouse hand-embroidered by local artisans. The event will be organized in the village Holercani, on the left bank of the Dniester River, on July 5th, where a large number of artisans will gather with handmade traditional objects, traditional dishes, live music concert, dances and many others traditions. Also, during the event will take place the mural art contest ,,Cai verzi pe pereti”, the contest of young designers ,,Mindria”, as well as the conference on folklore-inspired themes ,,Podul de flori”.
2. Chisinau Summer Fest – one of the most grandiose and colorful festival, comes this year with a new edition. Together with your loved ones, between August 8-9, in Dendrariu Park, you will experience the strongest emotions and enjoy the incendiary atmosphere along with the most famous artists from Moldova and abroad: Carla’s Dreams, SunStroke Project, Natalia Gordienko, DoReDoS, Мumiy Troll, MOHITO, Manuel Riva & Misha Miller, RASA, Klava Koka, Andrew Rayel and others. Participants will have many interesting activities for all ages, delicious snacks, soft drinks, games, competitions and many entertainment areas.
3. La Vatra Olarului Vasilii Gonciari – International Pottery Fair. Pottery is one of the handicraft activities of the Moldovan people. On this occasion, on August 9th, 2020, in Hoginesti village, Calarasi district, will take place the International Pottery Fair ,,La Vatra Olarului Vasilii Gonciari”, which will gather in the yard of the house of the most famous potter in Moldova – Vasilii Gonceari ”, folk craftsmen from the country and abroad, to present their most special works. The event is organized in order to revive the popular traditions and to harness the potential of potters, as well as to exchange experience between all craftsmen. During this fair will be exhibited a variety of handicrafts, where visitors can buy pots, souvenirs and household items, there will be also various workshops where children and everyone who wish can try the potter’s job. Also, visitors will be able to enjoy folk music, dances, as well as the most delicious traditional dishes prepared by local housewives.
4. An evening in the park – it’s a beautiful summer tradition in its second edition and a special event that will overwhelm you with pleasant and unforgettable emotions! The festival will take place outdoors inside the Green theater from the Valley of the Mills park on August 15th. It is an opportunity to take refuge from the daily routine in a quiet place surrounded by the beauty of nature, and to recharge your soul with positive energy. The theme of this year’s “An Evening in the Park” event is “Italian Music” which will surprise you with the melancholy of splendid songs and musical notes. The following artists will perform in the program: Alessandro Safina, Ioana Ignat (Romania), Alexandru Chiriac (Romania), Mariana Bulicanu, Constantin Moscovici, Cornelia and Marcel Ștefăneț, Vitalie Advahov, Cătălin Advahov, Tania Cerga, Andrei Glavan, Cristina Scarlat, Ana Munteanu, accompanied by the Extended Orchestra of the National Philharmonic guided by the young conductor Dumitru Cârciumaru.
5. HODINA Festival – collective outdoor
picnic and many experiences.
On August 15 and 16, all the roads lead to Pohrebea village in the Dubasari district, on the bank of the Dniester, where the biggest family reunion will take place. During these days will be organized dozens of activities dedicated to the whole family – kayaking, folk dance lessons, picture workshops, crafts, volleyball, yoga on traditional carpets, areas with hammocks where you can read a good book. In addition, will be organized a local craft fair, where over 70 folk craftsmen from all over the country will exhibit their works in order to be admired and also purchased by guests. For those eagers to know more, there will be a tour of the village Pohrebea, where you will have the opportunity to visit the famous church built by order of Russian Tsar Nicholas II, local traditional houses and their cellars full of pots. This year will be organized a camping area for those who want to spend a memorable night in nature with lots of fun. Also, here you will eat vegetarian and fish, fish soup, boiled crayfish, grilled fish with polenta and a variety of wines. Dress code: yellow. We are looking forward to spending an unforgettable weekend together!
6. Street Food & Wine Festival – the second edition of the Street Food & Wine revolution will take place between August 22nd and August 23rd, on the Eugen Doga pedestrian street in Chisinau. During the event, several restaurants in the country will exhibit their most delicious dishes, and wineries will present the most select local wines. During these days, will be organized 2 concerts every day, with participation of the following musical groups: Ethno Republic, Valentin Uzun and Lykos, Simrat Orchestra, Dj Markus Lawyer. Gourmets and wine lovers are invited to taste and discover local wines and their makers.
7. Dor Calator Festival – a unique music festival, which will take place in the heart of the woods of Moldova, at Poiana winery, on August 27th. This festival will be a memorable musical experiment, which will bring together talented young instrumentalists and famous musicians, who come to delight the souls of many people. Those present at the event will have a distinguished atmosphere, handmade masters, lots of wine and tasty food, and for children will be organized a playground. Also, the organizers promise to prepare a picnic, so don’t forget to bring a blanket with you.
Book now these summer days and spend them to the fullest together with the family and friends!